The562’s coverage of Long Beach Wilson Athletics is sponsored by Joel Bitonio, Class of 2009.
“It is a great day to be a Bruin, especially for these student-athletes on stage and their supporters cheering them today,” is how Wilson principal Rebecca “Suzanne” Caverly opened the signing day celebration on Monday in the auditorium.
Wilson continued its tradition of bringing the entire class together for one signing day event late in the school year, and had an impressive 25 student-athletes honored for continuing their education and athletic careers at the collegiate level.
The Bruins track and field program had the most representatives with five, and the event started with coach Neil Nelson elaborating all the team and individual achievements they’ve accomplished this season. He then lauded the leadership and effort by their committed athletes including Ma’Nia Tidwell, who announced her decision to attend San Jose State.
Wilson girls’ water polo reached a CIF Southern Section final this year and had four members announce their decisions.
Throughout the ceremony, all present coaches noted their athletes dedication, leadership, and effort all contributed to their teams and programs, showcasing the individual talent and team camaraderie every athlete held.
“These individuals behind me are the tangible result of hard work and dedication, and I want to thank all the coaches’ and families’ time, dedication, and sacrifices for getting these student-athletes to compete at the next level. I am very proud to be here,” Wilson athletic director Warren Smitheran said.
Here is a full list of all signees:
● Maya O’Dea: Harvard, girls’ water polo
● Reese Doherty: UC Berkeley, girls’ soccer
● Charlotte Echlin: Long Beach State, girls’ water polo
● Cyan Fellows: Pacific University, girls’ lacrosse
● Ky Stopp: University of Hawaii Chaminade, boys’ golf
● Chelsea Park: Wellesley College, girls’ swim
● Alyson Sor: UC Irvine, girls’ golf
● Gavin Pool-Harris: Point Loma Nazarene University, boys’ soccer
● Brady Simon: UC Davis, boys’ water polo
● Sean Tunnicliff: Bucknell, boys’ water polo
● Zoe Grover: UC San Diego, girls’ water polo
● Juliana Babore: Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, softball
● Olivie Herrera: Arizona State University, girls’ soccer
● Brock Cruz: Concordia University Irvine, boys’ lacrosse
● Allanah Smith: Cal State San Marcos, girls’ volleyball
● Max Cherin: Long Island University, boys’ volleyball
● Vivian Bailey: UC Irvine, girls’ water polo
● Annika Morallos: Gonzaga University, rowing
● Natalie Munoz: Cypress College, swimming
● Valerie Coward: Westmont College, girls’ volleyball
● Ma’Nia Tidwell: San Jose State, track and field
● Aujane Luckey: Arizona State University, track and field
● Brooklyn Moultry: San Jose State, track and field
● Marcell Francis Mitchell: still deciding, track and field
● Issac Lewis: still deciding, track and field