The latest high school football game to be canceled due to a positive COVID-19 test is Wilson’s game that was scheduled for Saturday at San Jacinto.
Wilson had one junior varsity football player test positive for COVID-19 on Monday, and therefore the junior varsity and varsity football games have been canceled. The player participated in the junior varsity game against Warren on Thursday, was dressed out on the sideline Friday night during the varsity game and then attended the film session on campus Saturday. He took the test Sunday after showing symptoms.
“Lakewood had their deal over the summer and Poly was last week so unfortunately I guess it’s our turn this week,” Wilson coach Scott Meyer said. “It’s still the world we live in.”
Wilson could’ve still played the game but didn’t have enough players with both vaccinations to field a team. The Wilson Frosh/Soph team is still scheduled to host San Jacinto on Friday.
All of the Bruins with both vaccinations will be able to return to practice this week, according to Meyer, and the non-vaccinated players can return Sept. 1.
“It’s disappointing but the bottom line is that safety is the biggest deal for everybody,” Meyer said. “I wish there was another way (to handle it) but this is what we have to do. We’ll get through it and come back strong.”
This news also puts the Sept. 3 game at Huntington Beach in question but that decision hasn’t been made yet.