Sophomore Natalia Munoz’s third set victory delivered Long Beach State women’s tennis a 4-3 win over Penn on Tuesday at Rhodes Tennis Center.
“We showed a lot of fight today in a tough match,” LBSU coach Jenny Hilt-Costello said. “We were down in a number of singles matches but didn’t give up.”
With the match deadlocked at 3-3 and Munoz still playing, the fate of the contest rested on her shoulders. Munoz started her match with Ashley Zhu knowing the teams were deadlocked at 3-3. She dropped the first set 5-7, bounced back to win the second set 7-6, then finished strong with a 6-3 win to clinch the victory for LBSU.
LBSU (5-5) hosts Furman at 12 p.m. on Friday.
1. Lina Qostal (PENN) def. Lena Pacholski (LBSU) 7-5, 6-3
2. Natalia Munoz (LBSU) def. Ashley Zhu (PENN) 5-7, 7-6, 6-3
3. Maren Helgo (LBSU) def. Jimena Rodriguez-Benito (PENN) 7-6, 6-2
4. Ria Vaidya (PENN) def. Sadaf Sadeghvaziri (LBSU) 6-1, 6-4
5. Marta Kowalska (PENN) def. Lalita Devarakonda (LBSU) 6-1, 4-6, 6-4
6. Carlota Casasampere (LBSU) def. Marija Curnic (PENN) 2-6, 6-4, 6-1
1. Natalia Munoz/Lalita Devarakonda (LBSU) def. Lina Qostal/Ris Vaidya (PENN) 6-2
2. Lena Pacholski/Sadaf Sadeghvaziri (LBSU) def. OJ Singh/Jimena Rodriguez-Benito (PENN) 7-5
3. Marija Curnic/Marta Kowalska (PENN) def. Carlota Casasampere/Georgia Gulin (LBSU) 7-5